Health Benefits of Ume Plums
Why should we eat like a Japanese grandma?
The idea that Umeboshi is good for you is basically common knowledge in Japan. In the States, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” is the common idiom you hear. In Japan, they say: “An umeboshi a day keeps the doctor away (１日１粒の梅干で医者いらず). Umeboshi has been known to boost your energy, relieve hangovers, nausea, etc.
Lucky for us traditional food makers, we now have the science to back up some of these beliefs that have been part of life for centuries. Here are some of the health benefits of ume plum products:
- A great alkalizer
- Reduces fatigue
- Helps absorption of calcium & iron
- Helps blood flow (Mumefural)
- Promotes metabolism
- Stimulates appetite
- Promotes good digestion
- Improves liver functions & hangover (picric acid)
- Antiseptic, defense against food poisoning
- Anti-aging effects (Mumefural)